EVERY SINGLE artist, no matter what their medium, suffers from occasional creative constipation. It sucks. Our mojo gets clogged. Our creative cogs get gummed up and stop turning. There’s no getting around it.
RATHER THAN WAITING, hoping the muse returns, why not be proactive? Take control of your creative constipation and give that brilliant congested noggin of yours a big ol’ dose of inspirational prune juice by trying one of these…
25 PROMPTS TO SPARK YOUR IMAGINATION AND IGNITE YOUR CREATIVITY.
1. Have you ever sacrificed or given up on a dream? How did it feel? Is it too late to give it another shot?
2. Where do you feel most at home? Where do you feel most alive? The mountains? The swamp? The seaside? The city? The country?
3. When you were 5 years old, what did you want to be when you grew up? How did that dream evolve?
4. Every family has it’s own customs and traditions. What is your favorite family tradition?
5. We’ve all said or done something we would take back if we could. So what’s your greatest regret? And don’t give me some bullsh*t answer about having no regrets because it made you who you are today. I’m not buyin’ it. Use this opportunity to make amends by being honest with yourself.
6. If you could change one thing about yourself or your life what would it be and why?
7. Most of us, at some point, created a life plan for ourselves, an idea of how we wanted our life to turn out, a timeline to try and achieve our goals. How does the life you envisioned vary from the life you have? Is it better than what you imagined or does it fall short of your goals?
8. Have you ever experienced a bizarre synchronicity? What was it?
9. How do you feel about porn and/or strippers? Is it empowering to females or does it objectify women? Does is create unrealistic expectations of what sex and/or the female form should be like?
10. Do you have unresolved issues with someone who has passed? If you had them back for 5 minutes what would you say to them?
11. What is the weirdest, wildest, craziest, over the top thing you’ve ever done?
12. If you knew you wouldn’t get caught, would you rob a bank?
13. Nature versus nurture – which do you think is more responsible for shaping us?
14. Choose a color. Now describe it to someone who has never seen it before.
15. What is the greatest challenge you’ve overcome in your life? How did it impact you?
16. Is there a talent you wish you had? If you could trade all of your gifts for that one talent, would you?
17. What’s the meanest thing someone has said or done to you? How did you handle it? How did their behavior and/or your reaction change/define you?
18. Be a fortune teller. Make 5 predictions about what the world will be like in 20 years.
19. If you had a time machine that only made a one way trip, would you use it even though you knew you’d never get to go home again? If so, what time would you travel to?
20. You go to sleep and wake the next day inside your favorite book. What do you do?
21. Is love at first sight possible or is it really lust at first sight?
22. How do you know when you’re in love?
23. What was the scariest nightmare you ever had? What was your best dream?
24. We’ve all been on a bad date…the ones we can’t believe are happening…the ones that seem like they’re out of an episode of Seinfeld. You know the one. Now tell us about it.
25. If you could create one new law what would it be and why?
NOW GO. Write. Paint. Shoot. Create. The world is waiting for your brilliance. And so am I. I want to see how you used these prompts so I fully expect you to leave links to your genius in the comments.
Kisses & Chaos,
Alli Woods Frederick